Friday, January 15, 2010

No Baby Clothes or Furniture or Toys

Pregnant at 47 (&48), you can imagine how many baby things I had. None. My "baby" was 17 and I don't have the space or inclination to save clothes, furniture, toys or anything else that I'm not using. I did have a 12 month size Chicago Cubs warm up suit that my stuffed Snoopy had been wearing. That's it.

However, I worked in a small office with only 7 other employes, including the cleaning lady. One of my co-workers still had her son's baby clothes stored in her mother's basement. He was 11; his grandma had wanted the bags of clothing out of her basement for at least 10 years. So, she gave them to me. Another co-worker goes to yard sales a lot. She bought me clothes until I begged her to stop. I had more clothes than I needed. My only other c0-worker with a baby gave me a car seat that she didn't like. She had another she said fastened in the car more easily. My co-workers decided to give me a shower. They gave me diapers in a variety of sizes, wipes, toiletries, toys. The cleaning lady offerred to let me use her grandchildren's bassinett. I'd never had a bassinett before. It was very nice for Robert when he was small.

My sister had a next door neighbor with twin boys. She didn't plan to have any more chidren, so she offered me her children's clothes. They were very nice, gently used clothes. And there were lots. Twins need more clothes than a single baby.

Several ladies I go to church with wanted to give me a shower. They gave me almost no clothes. One lady insisted that the baby needed at least one new outfit. I love thrift stores and yard sales, so I don't know why he needed a new outfit, but she seemed to think he did. They gave me a very nice stroller and infant car seat, a breast pump, infant toys, gift cards, spit up clothes, socks (one item of clothing that doesn't seem to wear very well), pacifiers, diapers, wipes, toiletries, a bouncy seat. Too many things to list. And one lady found a crib for $5.00 at her neighbor's yard sale. I love a bargain!

My husband's sister and his brother's wife decided to give me a small shower. Cash, more diapers, stuffed animals, a baby swing.

I went from having nothing to needing nothing. All due to the generosity of friends, relatives and even one total stranger. I'm so thankful. I didn't buy diapers for months. I only bought baby shampoo a few weeks ago. They baby's 15 months old now.

And the giving continues. Friends from church have given me clothing from grandchildren or children. My mother-in-law has always given me more than I need to my children. After all, I had three of her four grandchildren.

Next time: Giving back!

No comments:

Post a Comment