After I received so many baby clothes, so much baby furniture, so many baby accessories that I didn't know what to do, I wondered what to do as my son outgrew clothes, etc. I though about giving everything to Goodwill or The Salvation Army, but I wanted to give to someone I knew. A friend approached me and asked what I was doing with Robert's outgrown clothing. When I told her I planned to give it to a thrift store, she told me about a single young woman whose grandmother had kicked her out when she discovered her pregnancy. The young woman was staying with friends, working and trying to finish college. She was doing the best she could, but didn't have anything for her son, who was due in May. I gladly gave her my extra car seat, clothes that were too small, a baby sling my son never liked much and odds and ends of stuff I wasn't using. I had some baby items that were brand new when I gave them to her. She had quite a bit to get started with.
After I had my son, my hours at work were cut---from full time to one day a week and every third Saturday morning. I had sold a few items on ebay, so I decided to try selling more. I sold possessions that were taking up space and giving me little pleasure. I sold items I found at thrift stores. I sold games we seldom played. I sold some of the baby items Robert had outgrown. I know it would have been kinder to give everything to the single mother, but my income was so much less, it would have been hard to do so. And someone was getting a bargain by purchasing from me on ebay. After a bit, I discovered what would sell best on ebay.
When Robert was about nine months old, my sister-in-law called me to tell me she was pregnant. She is in her 40's like me. Unlike me, she has had several miscarriages, but everything looked good for this pregnancy. Her son is due in March, so I started saving everything Robert no longer needs for her. I didn't have clothing smaller than 12 month size, but little Caleb will grow to be that size before too long. It feels wonderful to save clothing and toys and other stuff for my son's new baby cousin.
Next time: Robert has two Mommies.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment